Saturday, March 5, 2011

Hierarchy

From my observations, being a spider is definitely preferable to being snake in Guyana. The only snake I have seen was being flogged to death with a cricket bat. Poor fella did not stand a chance. On the other hand, the two spiders I have seen have both been peeping on me in the shower. Clearly, the spiders have somehow advanced on the social status if they are entitled to such privileges as this. Come to think of it though, some ants did get to have a sleep over with me the other night; they win. Random thought: would spiders be more or less creepy if they could say “boo?”

As far as animals go, I think it is appropriate to acknowledge the mascot of the Peace Corps. Well, the unofficial mascot that I am officially appointing right now. His name is Stanley, and he is the brave (and terribly skinny) horse the roams the street of Guyana. We have encountered Stanley several times on our bumpy minibus rides, and I just wanted to give him a shout out. Thank you to Ashley for naming our fearless cheerleader. Also, I would like to say hello to all the puppies, which apparently outnumber people in Guyana.

Funny moment of the day: Having a random Guyanese man call me “Auntie White Lady” as I passed him on the street. I give him points for originality for switching up from the regular “baby” nickname that has been used far too often.

No comments:

Post a Comment